Hardship Assistance

Home > About Council > Ratepayer Information > Hardship Assistance

Carrathool Shire Council understands that many people at different stages of their lives experience financial difficulties. Please let us know if you are unable to make your payments by the due date. Your situation will be treated in the strictest confidence and we will work with you to make suitable arrangements.

If you do not make contact with Council in relation to your outstanding account you may be subject to debt recovery action, which could cost you additional fees, lead to court proceedings and as a last resort your property may be sold for unpaid rates and charges.

Arrangements can be made at any time to pay off outstanding accounts by regular payments, subject to the following:

  • The arrangement is in writing and signed
  • The amount and frequency of the payments are to be acceptable to Council
  • Current rates and charges are to be paid when they fall due in addition to the arrangement plan where possible.

All arrangements are in accordance with Council policy and will be reviewed on a regular basis.

Sale of Land for Unpaid Rates and Charges

Councils have the power under Section 713 of the Local Government Act 1993 to sell any land on which rates are not paid. They usually cannot do this until the rates are five (5) years overdue. If the land is vacant, it can be sold after one (1) year in certain circumstances. However, make sure you contact the Council before it gets to this stage. There may be ways to solve the problem that will satisfy both you and Council.

Proceedings will be taken for the recovery of any amount overdue as approved in the Local Government Act 1993. Therefore, please pay promptly.