Goolgowi is the largest of the four villages within the Carrathool Shire. Located on the crossroads of the Mid Western Hwy and Kidman Way, Goolgowi is approx. 6 hours north of Melbourne, 7 hrs west of Sydney and 30 minutes north of Griffith.
Situated on the north-western edge of the Murrumbidgee Irrigation Area, Goolgowi is primarily a wheat farming and sheep grazing area however, over the past decade agri-industry has diversified to include olives, walnuts, almonds, grapes, cattle feedlot and poultry sheds.
Within the village itself, there is a pub, ex-servicemens club, service station, post office, caravan park, motels, swimming pool, skate park, fitness equipment and walking tracks.
The village of Goolgowi was gazetted in 1925, following the development of the railway line between Griffith and Hillston.
The Goolgowi Train Station opened in 1923 and closed in 1979 following the cessation of passenger services on the line and is now used primarily for grain haulage. Goolgowi Station was the only station on the line to have a loop crossing which required an attendant
Follow the heritage trail around the village to discover the history of Goolgowi. Located outside the Carrathool Shire Council Office are five panels, installed to celebrate the Council’s Centenary in 2006, each of the panels are dedicated to one of the five towns and villages within Carrathool Shire.
Goolgowi services the surrounding farming district as well as travellers, and offers a variety of services, including service station, post office, ex-servicemen’s club, pub, caravan park and two motels. Through local community fundraising Goolgowi is fortunate to have a 25 metre swimming pool which is open from November to March annually. There are also picnic facilities, a public barbeque and children’s playgrounds throughout the village. The skate park, walking track and fitness area in Settlers Park is a big draw card for the more adventurous. .
In 1988, a number of local ladies created a soft sculpture curtain measuring 5 x 1.5 meters, which commemorates Goolgowi’s pioneers and history, depicting the various aspects of the settlement and development of the district. The sculpture is located at the Goolgowi Hall and can be viewed by contacting the Council Office in Goolgowi.
Approximately 30 kilometres south west of Goolgowi is the historic Gunbar Pioneer Memorial Church. The Church was officially opened in 1934, with local families voluntarily assisting with the construction of the building and donating the interior furnishings. The Church has eight beautiful stained-glass windows depicting the pioneer families of the Gunbar District.
The William Jackson VC Memorial is located at Gunbar. This memorial commemorates the sacrifices made by our young men and women during the wars in particular William Jackson.
For more information on the history of Gunbar, follow the heritage markers around the remains of the village.