Home > FAQ’s

How are rates worked out?

Your annual rates notice is made up of your general rates plus service charges.

The general rate is calculated in two parts:

  1. A uniform base rate for each category
  2. A rate in the dollar on the unimproved land valuation provided to Council by NSW Land & Property on behalf of the NSW Valuer General.

Service charges are for water, sewer and waste.

For more information check out Council’s latest Operational Plan.

What if I don’t agree with my land valuation?

Objections or appeals regarding the land value must be directed to the Valuer General’s Office. You can find out more via the Land & Property Information website. Whether or not an objection is pending, the rates levied must be paid by the due date indicated on the front of your rate notice.

What if I don’t agree with my rating category?

If you don’t agree with Council’s categorisation of your property, you can contact us in writing to request a review.

If you still don’t agree with the categorisation following the review, you can appeal to the Land and Environment Court within 30 days of receiving our decision.

I have changed my name, how can I get my rate notice changed?

If you have changed your name that appears on your rate notice (example, by way of marriage or deed poll), you must contact your solicitor or the Land & Property Information NSW office.

The LPI NSW office will require a copy of all supporting documentation to process the alteration to your name. LPI NSW will alter the deeds and notify us of the amendment.

How do I change my postal address on my rate notice?

If your current postal address is different from the address shown on the front of the rate notice, please contact Council in writing with the correct address.

What if I am having difficulties paying my rates and charges?

If you are having difficulty paying your account you may enter into an arrangement with us to make periodic payments. However, please note that interest charges will continue to apply.

See Hardship Assistance for more information.

What happens if my payment is late?

If your quarterly payment is not paid in full by the due date, you may have to pay interest on the amount owing. The interest charge would be calculated daily at the interest rate specified in the annual operational plan.

Rates and Water Overpayment

If you have overpaid your rates or water account and would like a refund, you must contact Council in writing and provide sufficient evidence of the overpayment. Processing of refunds may take up to 21 days and can only be made if your account is in credit.

Copies of your rates notice

If you need a copy of your rates notice, call us on (02) 6965 1900 during business hours.