Companion Animals

Home > Services > Companion Animals

All Companion Animals must be registered by law in NSW, as a Companion Animal owner you have a responsibility to ensure that your animal is microchipped, registered and your animal’s information is kept up to date on the Companion Animals Register.

The NSW Companion Animals Act 1998 is designed to benefit pets, their owners and the wider community.

What you need to know

What you need to know

  • Animals are to be microchipped by 12 weeks of age, Council offer microchipping services for a fee alternatively you can visit your local vet.
  • Animals are to be Lifetime Registered by 6 months of age, see below for more information.
  • As of July 2020:
    • Cats not de-sexed by four months of age will require an annual permit as well as lifetime registration.
    • Dogs of a restricted breed or declared to be dangerous will require an annual permit as well as lifetime registration.
  • The owner of an identified companion animal (whether or not it is registered) must notify the register when any of the following happens:
    • Any change occurs in the animal details due to a change of address; change of contact details; or the animal is sold or given away (written notification must be given within 14 days after the change occurs).
    • The animal dies (notifications may be made by phone, in writing or in person and must be given within 28 days after the animal dies). Where enforcement action is being taken, then a notification in writing may be requested accompanied by a statement from a vet that an animal has been euthanised or has passed away.
    • The animal has been missing for more than 72 hours (notifications may be made by phone, in writing or in person). Notification that an animal has subsequently been found must also be made within 72 hours of the animal being found after having been reported missing.
    • The making or revocation of a declaration by a court that a dog is dangerous (written notification must be given within seven days after the declaration is made or revoked);

Failure to correctly register your animal / keep your contact details and animal status up to date with Council may result in a penalty notice being issued. You can inform Council of a deceased or missing animal by using Form 017 – Notice of death, loss or surrender of an animal which can be found on the forms page.

Lifetime Registration

Under the NSW Companion Animals Act 1998 All Companion Animals must be lifetime registered. It is important to note that having your animal microchipped does not mean that it is registered.

You can complete an animal’s lifetime registration by visiting your local Council or any Service NSW Centre.

Make sure you bring all the necessary documentation with you when you go to register your animal, i.e. microchip details, sterilisation certificate, breeder’s card or a valid pension card.

Fees are applicable and can be found below, and also within Council’s Fees and Charges Guide.

Lifetime Registration Fees (1 July 2023) Fee
Dog – Not Desexed or Desexed (after relevant age) $252
Dog – Desexed (by relevant age) $75
Dog – (Eligible Pensioner) $32
Dog – Working $0
Dog – Service of the State $0
Assistance Animal $0
Cat – Desexed or Not Desexed (Annual Permit may apply to not desexed cats) $65
Cat – (Eligible Pensioner, Annual permit may apply to not desexed cats) $32
Cat – Desexed (Sold by Pound/Shelter) $0
Registration Late Fee $21

* An eligible pensioner includes a person in receipt of the aged pension, war widow pension or disability pension. If you are unsure whether you are an eligible pensioner, please contact Council.

** Working dogs do not need to microchipped and registered however it is recommended for your animals’ safety that you do so.  Carrathool Shire may require you to complete a Statutory Declaration in order to complete a working dog registration.

Please be aware that if your working dog is microchipped in order to comply with the Companion Animals Act 1998 you MUST complete the animal’s registration. Failure to register a microchipped animal may result in a penalty infringement notice being issued.

For further information contact Carrathool Shire Council on 02 6965 1900 during office hours or head to

For Relevant Policies & Forms follow the links provided:

  • Animal Notice of Death Loss or Surrender of Animal
  • Animal Complaint Form
  • Companion Animals Policy
  • Keeping of Animals Policy